Protection of Range
SOME HISTORY OF INITIATIVES AND ACTIONS PRIOR TO 2017
Government of Western Australia initiatives and actions that were taken towards the conservation and protection of Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin - including providing scientific information (e.g. Department of Environment and Conservation; Environmental Protection Authority) that have highlighted the high conservation values of this Banded Ironstone Formation (BIF) range:
- Biological surveys conducted on Helena and Aurora Range by the WA Museum, Department of Conservation and Land Management (now Parks and Wildlife in the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions). These surveys were essential to define the conservation values of the Helena and Aurora Range for flora and fauna. Landform and landscape were also suggested to be a conservation factor. (for more detail view Biological Surveys and Conservation History).
- Helena and Aurora Range was vested within a Conservation Park in 2005 as part of the Mt Manning reserve management system, which has on some levels provided the Range some protection, although Conservation Parks allow mining (see Conservation History).
- The value of Banded Ironstone Formation (BIF) ranges on the Yilgarn Craton was reviewed and documents published in; May 2007 (EPA Bulletin 1256) Advice on areas of the highest conservation value in the proposed extensions to Mount Manning Nature Reserve, and in August 2008 (Government of Western Australia) Strategic review of the Conservation and Resources Values Banded Ironstone Formation of the Yilgarn Craton.
- The cumulative impacts of development of the BIF ranges in the Goldfields and Midwest were highlighted by the EPA Annual Report 2012-2013: Pressure point: Banded Iron Formation Ranged, Yilgarn Craton. The following statement was made at the conclusion of this section of the annual report:
"The EPA is concerned that, after almost 40 years of recommending conservation of the highest value ranges, there remains a significant imbalance between development and conservation of these unique landscapes and the species they support. Given the significant biodiversity values of the Helena Aurora Range, ... the EPA is adopting a presumption against any further development for those parts of the range that are within the conservation park identified in the government's framework for the Mt Manning region." (EPA Annual Report 2012-2013)
Community of Western Australia Initiatives and actions focused on three objectives:
- to have Helena and Aurora Range (Bungalbin) gazetted as a Class A Reserve and National Park (see Petition),
- to raise community awareness of the magnificent natural heritage values of Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin.
- to gain agreement from the mining community, financial institutions and government that Helena and Aurora Range (Bungalbin) is a No Go area for mining,
Included NGOs: Helena and Aurora Range Advocates (HARA), Wildflower Society of Western Australia (WSWA), The Wilderness Society (TWS), BirdLife Western Australia (BirdLife WA), Toodyay Naturalists' Club, Western Australia Family Bushwalking Club, Toodyay Historical Society, and many others.
Traditional Owners: Kalamaia Kapurn People Helena & Aurora Range Facebook page
Highlights of actions and initiatives taken by the community of Western Australia from 2010 to December 2017 when the WA government made its decision not to allow mining on Helena and Aurora Range (Bungakbin).
- Helena and Aurora Range Advocates Inc. (HARA), formed in 2010.
- Facebook page Helena & Aurora Range, launched in 2010 (HARA).
- Recognition of the importance of Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin within the Great Western Woodlands
- Organising annual campouts to Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin (TWS)
- Website helenaaurorarange.com.au, launched in December 2012 (HARA).
- Video Helena and Aurora Range - jewel in the crown, launched in September 2013 (HARA)
- National Park proposal for Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin, launched in October 2013 (TWS, WSWA, HARA)
- Screening of Helena and Aurora Range jewel in the crown video at Perth outdoor Cultural Centre screen
- Presentaion of paper Helena and Aurora: Too precious to Mine at the Goldfields Environmental Management Workshop in May 2014, by Brian Moyle (WSWA)
- Advertisement in Kalgoorlie Miner (TWS, BirdLife WA)
- Walk from Buckland to Bungalbin by Greg Warburton July 2014 (with support from Historical Society of Toodyay, Toodyay Naturalists’ Club, HARA)
- Video of Buckland to Bungalbin launched (HARA)
- Members of the Public made submissions on what the level of assessment they (individuals and groups) considered the J5 and Bungalbin East mine proposal should be assessed at. A total of 1,004 submissions from the public were received.
- Helena and Aurora Range Art Fest at Perth Town Hall in February (TWS event)
- Members of the Public made submissions on the J5 and Bungalbin East PER (Public Environmental Review), 5 September to 31 October 2016.
- Video - Romolo speaks out for Helena and Aurora Range (TWS).
- Members of the Public contacted their local MPs about their concerns for the protection of Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin during 2016.
- Videos - Brian Champion, Elder of the Kalamaia Kapurn People speaks out for the protection of Bungalbin; from Kalgoorlie in October 2016 and from Bungalbin in November 2016.
- Aboriginal Materials and Culture Bureau (AMC) registered seven sacred sites on Bungalbin in December 2016.
- Opinion piece in The West Australian by Mark Henryon on 7 January 2017.
- Letters to the Editor in The West Australian and Kalgoorlie Miner throughout 2017 by members of the public.
- Cinema Advertisement during March 2017 at Garden City and Inaloo cinema complexes.
- Crowd Funder to support campaign in April 2017 (TWS).
- "birdsyoulove" page for Helena and Aurora Range launched in April 2017 - an invitation for people to say what they loved about the Range and why they wanted to see it protected. (BirdLife Australia).
- Video - Helena and Aurora Rnage Ridge Walk launched on 2 May 2017 (WA Bushwalking Club).
- Video - Helena and Aurora Range our WA Treasure - a drone perspective launched on 27 June 2017.
- Production of Bungalbin Brochure including access map for how to get to the Range.
- Online Petition, July to December 2017 (TWS).
- Call to email or phone Minister Dawson: birdlife.good.do July-December 2017 (BirdLife Australia).
- A5 booklet published for the Range, sent to Politicians, Shires, Visitor Centres and those supportig the Range (TWS, HARA, WSWA, WAFBC, BWA).
- Campout at Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin, in September 2017, attended by 70 people (TWS).
- Photos of individuals holding "I support a National Park for Helena and Aurora Range" poster - including Peter Garrett sent to Minister Stephen Dawson, November-December 2017.
- Release of Helena and Aurora Range Science Statement, signed by 56 scientists, on 6 November 2017.
- Helena and Aurora Range Stall held at the Perth 4WD & Adventure Show, 10-12 November 2017 (WA Family Bushwalking Club, Wildflower Society WA, HARA, TWS, BirdLife WA).
- Release of second edition of National Park Proposal for Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin at Picnic at Hyde Park event on 24 November 2017.
- Petitions tabled in the Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council.
IN THE TV MEDIA
ABC 7 O’Clock News (TWS spokesperson)
Landline January 2015 (WSWA spokesperson)
ACTIONS TAKEN SINCE DECEMBER 2017
- Updating and reprinting the Bungalbin Brochure now available at Shires and Vistors Centres in Merredin, Southern Cross, Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie.
- Native Title Claim application submitted - includes Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin.
- Presentation of paper: Balance: mining and conservation by Brian Moyle at the Goldfields Environmental Conference in Kalgoorlie on 16 May 2018.
- Two additional rare endemic plants on Helena and Aurora Range were added to the Threatened Flora List in January 2018: Lepidoseprma bungalbin and Acacia shapelleae (Parks and Wildlife, Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions).
- Helena and Aurora Range website was upgraded and re-launched with new pages presenting "Bushwalks on the Range" in October 2018.
- Invitation to Event Public Forum for Helena and Aurora Range, Bungalbin to be held on 30 November 2018, sent September-October 2018.